Sunday and Wednesday | 7:00pm - 9:00pm
with Linda Fane
We are studying Joyful Path of Good Fortune by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
We all have the potential for self-transformation and a limitless capacity for the growth of good qualities, but to fulfill this potential we need to know what to do along each stage of our spiritual journey. In the book Joyful Path of Good Fortune, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso provides step-by-step guidance on the meditation practices that will lead us to lasting inner peace and happiness.
What is the Foundation Program?
The Foundation Program is a uniquely structured study program that enables us to gain deeper understanding and experience of Buddhist teachings and to develop a regular meditation practice. It is ideal for those who have an introductory understanding of Buddhism and wish to learn more. We meet each week during term times, and have regular term breaks and a longer break in the summer. Students are requested to enroll for the entire text and commit to attend all the classes, as well as go to a puja (chanted meditation) and General Program class.
Benefits of Foundation Program
Through regular teachings, meditation, systematic study and group discussion, the Foundation Program offers deep support for your spiritual life. In essence, it is the same training followed by spiritual practitioners in an unbroken lineage dating back to Buddha Shakyamuni. Its special quality is that we can gain authentic experience without abandoning our modern lifestyle. By studying on this program we will gain great confidence in meditation – from basic techniques for overcoming our everyday problems, to practices leading to unsurpassed happiness and permanent inner peace.
Foundation Program Commitments
The commitments are to help and guide students in their study and practice. Students enroll for one subject at a time and commit to the following:
1. To attend every class not missing more than two classes per term. (Terms are three month periods-there is a summer break, a winter break and other holiday breaks.)
2. If you are going to be absent from class please contact the Foundation Program Monitor and let them know as soon as you become aware of a conflict in scheduling.
3. To study and memorize the essential points of the text.
4. To attend one special chanted prayer at the Center.
5. To take an exam at the end of each book.
The cost of FP is a monthly membership of $85. If you have the wish to join Foundation Program or would like to learn more, please contact the Education Program Coordinator at KMC Washington, (206) 526-9565 or email email@example.com.
About the Program
The purpose of the Foundation Program is to provide a systematic presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism.
The program comprises the following five subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and Eight Steps to Happiness
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary Understanding the Mind